Monday, 27 January 2014

Kosciuszko National Park, New South Wales


In_order to bump the number of mountains climbed during 2013 from two to three, Alan and I visited Kosciuszko National Park to climb Mt Kosciuszko a few days before the year's end.





Lake Jindabyne

Lake Jindabyne was our first stop. Here we took a walk around the lake, drowned ourselves in mosquito repellent, consumed milkshakes and pies and watched cricket.

The next day, we drove to Charlotte Pass. Here we began the Main Range Pass 20km round walk to Mt Kosciuszko. The weather varied on the track; sunny, windy, pleasant, cold. The track also varies. Some parts are flat or close to flat. This enabled us to overtake fellow walkers with minimal effort. In other parts, the track is steep and my knees struggled.

Some websites rate this as a 'hard' walk. It is not the hardest walk I have completed, but I would still say you need a good level of fitness to complete it as it is a long walk and it is out in the open, exposing you to wind, rain, sun etc.

The_Blue Lake
The_Blue Lake and me. Ear warmers were very useful!

After some hours, our track connected with another track. This second track took us up to the summit of Mt Kosciuszko. There are two ways of getting to this second track; starting at Charlotte Pass and battling it out as we did...or by taking a CHAIR LIFT from Thredbo and then walking on a BOARD WALK to the second track.

When I realised there was a 'cheat' way of climbing the summit, I was disappointed. I wanted a badge sewn onto my top for my efforts on the long way up!


Every man and his dog on Mt Kosciuszko - because they took the easy way up!


A_well deserved meal on the summit - instant mash, canned peas and some sort of canned stew


After our walk we headed to Thredbo where we stayed at the Denman Hotel. Staff here are very welcoming and are happy to have a chat with you. 


Lounge area of the hotel. Nice lamp

The next day was a Sunday and we decided to take things easy by walking for only four hours. We walked along the 10km Dead Horse Gap track, along the river, up to the Thredbo chair lift.

The day started with a hearty breakfast the Denman. The hotel recently shifted from a buffet breakfast to a cafe menu style breakfast.



Too lazy to spend three hours walking down, we took the chair lift, a first for both of us. I was scared about the chair lift - how would I get on? How would I get off? What are the chances of falling off? Once on the chair lift, I was fine and I really enjoyed it.






The_Denman's Apres Bar was hosting a Summer party/BBQ that afternoon/evening and we joined in the fun. A live band was playing and we tried to guess which classic hits they played, almost always getting it wrong:)

The Apres Bar is a very cosy place and the barman, John, is the friendliest I have met.


White sangria. This is a mixture of sparkling wine, some other alcohol I have now forgotten and fruit. Very refreshing after a long walk


Christmasy windows:)

For tea we visited The Pub Bar & Bistro, where most meals were around $20. We ate here twice during our stay, tasting the steak, schnitzel, fish (below) and lasagna (below). I recommend the bistro; the food is filling, tasty and affordable.





For_dessert, back to the Denman! Alan had stayed at the Denman previously and said the desserts were well worth trying. We ooh and aah'ed over the chocolate panna cotta and creme caramel.







Kosciuszko National Park is a beautiful part of Australia. The view from Mt Kosciuszko is not overly spectacular, but the 20km walk is and it is worth your time. There are a number of other walks in the area for you to undertake and you may even spot wild horses on some of them. I guess this area is well known for Winter activities but it is also very enjoyable and pleasant in warmer months. Just remember the sunscreen, hat and insect repellent.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful countryside! I have always wanted to go to Mt Kosciuszko.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which I like better your food/recipe posts or your "normal posts" . Either way, when I get a chance, I catch up on what you've been writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is surely a very good blog, thanks a lot for sharing such nice information here.
    Mango producers in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete